Jack Vinson probably did not quite mean the comparison to be this literal:
Blogs are better than communities because:
- Weblogs are more respectful of their authors and of their audience
- Weblogs are better connecting tools.
Communities are better than blogs because:
- Communities are better social structures for problem-solving, knowledge stewarding and innovation
- Communities of practice are better social structures for learning
And how can blogs and CoP’s live together:
- Blogger networks generate communities of practice (and communities of practice generate projects)
- Communities of Practice can use weblogs to communicate with the outside world.
And this extracted from James Farmer: “Blog based communities – explaining the basics:
Not sure that I entirely agree with this comment.
Nancy White, in reading this article came up with concept of Blogs as “containers of conversations”. However she does also point out (on a comment on James’s Blog) the difficulty some people have and some conversations pose.