I’ve pondered for weeks how to make a first post on Moodle 2. Here is my wish list. I got the idea from Mark Deschler’s wish list post. He has some great comments on how to get involved. I’m always surprised with 1,000,000 people on Moodle.org why so few vote in the tracker.
You will notice there is nothing here about Mobile access, web 2.0, RSS. The people I work with at the moment are not really there yet.
There is a little angst over some aspects of Moodle 2: the filepicker, the navigation, the lack of plugins, video mishandling. But there is progress coming.
a Improved forums
This is my top priority. It was in train for Moodle 2.1 but has gon from the roadmap now. Most of the items in this list have a tracker items, some have code as well.
- Save draft posts (How often do we want to write in two sessions?)
- Subscription at the thread level (Update: requested in 2004 with a huge number of votes tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-1626 now looking like some progress)
- Ability to freeze a thread
- Sticky threads
- Improved ability to mark forum posts for followup
- Export at the end of a course
- There are a few more . ..
b Blogs: minor enhancements
We have comments on blogs now. But
- Need ability to restrict blogs to view by course members
- Need ability to see a list of blogs for members of a course preferably with numbers of new posts.
Comment: Navigation around blogs has proved confusing for some. Posts in the Moodle.org forums consistently confuse functionality of blogs with forums.
c Navigation improvements.
See image for a course navigation: we now have the navigation scroll of death. In workshops I’m finding users loosing their way. There are some unpredicatable actions. Like when you click on a section title, you don’t go to that section.
Ideally include a simple section navigation block:
- Single section: github.com/leizhang/moodle-course-format_sections
- Menu block or section navigation: github.com/leizhang/moodle-block_menu_site_and_course
There are a few other aspects that I am sure will be addressed in future versions.
d Groups: Self enrolment options.
e Clone an activity or a template function.
Backup and restore just doesn’t cut it.
Late breaking news: tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-11288 this has been started. “A x2 icon”
f Admin email notifications
- on account creation (e-mail to admi)
- on self-enrolment in a course (e-mail to teachers)
(Optional to receive these of course)
g Multiple file upload
Improvement to the Add a resource > File.
Some sort of multiple file deployment option.
tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-12810 the old Flash uploader will not work now with the new files. But something is needed. And fix long menu links. (See above)
h Useability for admins
Less scolling to get to the “editing on” functionality, and the “Save and return” link. I like the new WordPress admin bar that appears at the top. :
Think of the 12 most common functions this close in Moodle. Ability to tweak the editor without server access.
i Improve media management
In 2.0.2 you cannot resize media. May be fixed in 2.0.2+